Get our best possible rates by calling us on 0800 369 8580

Existing customers call Customer Service on 0344 381 6503

125cc Motorbike Insurance

Existing customers please call

We provide specialist cover for 125cc motorcycles of every description. More people than ever are turning to 125s as an affordable way to get into biking, and a cheap and reliable way to get around. Whatever your reason for choosing a 125, we can find an insurance quote tailored to your needs. At Bikesure we offer 5 Star rated Defaqto specialist Yamaha insurance tailored to the individual.

Why choose Bikesure Insurance for your 125cc motorcycle?

Whatever 125 you ride, you’ll be looking for a bargain on your insurance cover. Bikesure policies are bespoke to the exact needs of you and your machine. 

There are many benefits and optional extras available with our 125cc motorbike cover. Here are just a few:

  • Discounted premiums for riders with no claims bonus
  • Motorbikes with modifications and customisations covered
  • Agreed value option for custom and modified motorbikes
  • Easy payment options available including direct debit – even for 17 year olds (subject to the instalment plan being taken out by a parent/guardian)
  • Legal cover up to £100,000 included as standard
  • Riders with motoring and criminal convictions covered
  • Insurance to ride any bike from £29.99
  • Helmet and leathers cover from £29.99
  • Keycare insurance cover from £19

What insurance do I need for a 125cc motorbike?

The minimum insurance you need to ride a 125cc motorcycle is third party only. This covers compensation for injury or damage caused to other people and their property. 

Third party, fire and theft offers the same benefits as third party only, but provides additional cover if your bike is damaged by fire or stolen.

Fully comprehensive motorbike insurance covers damage you cause to a third party or their property and will cover you if your motorbike is stolen or damaged by fire.

If you own more than one motorcycle, then Bikesure can also help you get a multiple bike insurance quote at a single low price.

How much does 125cc bike insurance cost?

The cost of your 125cc insurance depends on a number of factors, including your previous riding history, where you live and how you’ll use your bike. As 125s are relatively low powered compared to bikes with larger engines, they can be fairly cheap to run.

You can begin to reduce your insurance premium with a no claims discount which will begin to build after 12 months of claim free riding. You can also agree to pay a higher excess, which is the sum you agree to pay in the event of making a claim. 

Take a look at our Case Studies on some of the quotes we’ve given other 125cc riders. Depending on your history and a number of other factors, you can get an annual quote from as little as £93.

Why choose a 125cc motorbike?

125s come in all shapes and sizes – the only real similarity between them being that they are all 125cc. From scooters to cruisers, replicas to enduros, whatever style of bike you like, you can find an affordable 125cc model to suit.

Ideal for 17 year olds, these learner legal motorbikes can be ridden at stage one of the ‘staged access’ system, meaning you can be road legal through passing only your CBT. This provides the perfect middle ground between scooters and more powerful bikes.

Whether you ride a 125cc bike as an economical commuting vehicle, for weekend ride-outs or simply as a stopgap until you pass your tests, with our 125cc insurance you can enjoy all the benefits of these learner legal motorbikes while keeping costs down.

What’s not covered by 125cc motorbike insurance?

Your 125cc motorbike insurance policy normally excludes passengers. For that you will need specific pillion cover, but only if you have a full licence. Your insurance also probably excludes other riders from using your bike and it won’t provide track day cover. You will need separate track day insurance for that. 

Modifications will also usually be excluded from your 125cc insurance cover – but you can take our modifications insurance for any mods you want to make. 


What is a 125cc motorbike?

A 125cc motorbike has an engine chamber of 125 cubic centimetres. The size of the engine chamber affects the power that can be generated. A 125cc engine is modest and therefore relatively lower powered.

Can I take a passenger on a 125cc motorbike?

You are prohibited from taking a passenger on a 125cc motorbike unless you have appropriate pillion passenger cover. You can only get this if you are fully licensed.

If you are riding a 125cc motorcycle with a CBT licence, you cannot ride on the motorway as you do not have a full motorcycle licence. It is illegal for a rider to ride on the motorway with L plates and an incorrect licence and you could face a hefty fine or punishment for this.

Read more about the limitations and requirements of riding a 125cc in our blog on UK motorcycle licences.

Can I ride a 125cc motorbike on a motorway?

You can ride a 125cc motorbike on the motorway if you have a full licence. You are prohibited from the motorway if you still have your L-plates on and are driving on your CBT licence. 

Can I ride a 125cc motorbike on a car licence?

If you have a car licence, you will still need to take your CBT before riding a 125cc motorbike. When you pass your CBT and display L-plates you will be able to ride for two years, at which time you will have to retake the training. If you want to ride a larger, more powerful motorcycle you’ll need to take your motorcycle test.

Learn more in our blog Can you ride a motorbike with a car licence?

Do I need insurance for my 125cc motorbike?

It is law to have, at the very least, third party only cover when riding a 125cc motorbike on the public roads. Riding without insurance is illegal and can result in a number of penalties, including a ban and fine. You also risk having the bike confiscated and destroyed.

What are the benefits of owning a 125cc motorbike?

They are learner legal bikes meaning you can ride them with L-plates and a CBT licence. They are also very economical, easy to manoeuvre and are a good bike on which to practise and gain experience.

What type of licence do I need to ride a 125cc motorbike?

A Category A1 licence covers small motorcycles with a cylinder capacity of no more than 125cc.

What insurance do I need to take my CBT?

If you take your CBT on a bike belonging to a training centre, you will be covered by the centre’s insurance. If you do your CBT on your own 125cc bike, you’ll have to sort out your own insurance. The minimum requirement is third party only cover.

Related Links

Existing customers please call

Insurance fit for a King

Four-time World Champion and King of The Jungle Carl Fogarty teams up with Bikesure Insurance

"I paid just £72.40"

David (46), Cambridgeshire

1966 Triumph T100SS

Call today for a quote!

Insurance to ride any bike

Agreed Value Insurance

Helmet and leathers

Keycare Insurance

Motorcycle Breakdown

Policy Upgrades

Bikesure offer a range of upgrades and extra benefits, at low prices, so you can add just the additional cover you need to your policy without breaking the bank.

Legal Cover (Free)

All motorcycle policies purchased through Bikesure come with £100,000 of legal expenses cover completely free of charge. You will also have access to a 24 hour claims hotline and a dedicated claims handler, a suitable replacement vehicle (where eligible) in the event of a non-fault claim, and access to a panel of legal experts to help you through any litigation. Other brokers and insurers charge up to £32 or more for similar cover. This policy is underwritten by Brit Insurance Limited.

Helmet & Leathers Cover

Replacing your helmet and leathers can be expensive and inconvenient as you have to either stop riding or compromise your safety by riding without protective clothing. Protect up to £1,500 worth of protective clothing for just £29.99 or up to £3,000 worth for £40.00. This helps cover the costs involved with replacing your helmet and protective clothing in the event of a motorcycle accident so you can get back on the road as soon as possible. Underwritten by Trinity Lane Insurance Company Ltd.


The nightmare of your motorcycle breaking down puts all of your plans on hold. Hanging around by the roadside for hours, thwarted plans and costly callout charges mean that a comprehensive breakdown policy is an essential consideration for any biker. For just £62.00 a year, when bought with a motorcycle insurance policy, Bikesure Rescue includes gold-standard cover for the insured motorbike including UK and European Roadside Assistance and Recovery, puncture repair, transport to your destination, back home, or to a garage, and emergency accommodation costs, and can even provide you with a similar hire bike to get you on the road again quickly. Get complete roadside peace of mind today. The policy is underwritten by Trinity Lane.


If you’ve ever lost your keys, you’ll know that it’s no laughing matter, and can in fact end up costing you a lot of money in locksmith fees.

For just £19.00 a year, our keycare insurance policy will cover locksmith expenses, replacement locks and keys, bike immobilizer replacement costs, vehicle hire costs, and transport costs if you’re stranded, up to a value of £1,500.

We’ll pay out if your keys are stolen, locked inside your home, or lost for 48 hours. Better yet, your keys are protected regardless of your location; we now cover keys worldwide.

For more information and to add keycare to your policy, speak to a member of our team today.

Personal Accident Cover

Nobody likes to think about the possibility of suffering a bodily injury in an accident, but unfortunately it can happen. Personal Accident Cover will pay out additional compensation in the event of accidental death, loss of sight, loss of limbs and road rage assault. The policy offers £12,500 of personal accident cover for only £17.00 a year. The policy is underwritten by Trinity Lane Insurance

Licence Defence

With access to legal advice when you need it most, and providing help negotiating some of the most complex legal and police paperwork, Licence Defence’s expert team could help any biker to avoid making mistakes while contesting their conviction or fine. To find out more about Licence Defence, and how it could help you for just £19.99 a year, contact our team today on 0800 369 8580

Excess Protection

If you are liable for a claim on your motor insurance policy (including non-fault claims where within 6 months you have been unable to recover your excess from a liable third party), this policy will reimburse any excess you have paid, up to a maximum of £300, £500 or £1,000 (dependent on premium paid) in the event of a claim. Protect your excess today from as little as £34.99. The policy is underwritten by Ageas Insurance Limited.

Solving 125cc Insurance Issues

Unlimited trips to Europe!

I bought a little 125cc scooter to take with me when I go on holiday to Europe with my campervan. I usually go foranything upto 3 months a time! This was causing problems with other insurers as they said the maximum they will do is 30days! Fortunately, Bikesure offered me a comprehensive policy at a competitive price that gives me up to 3 months in a single trip and as many times as I want a year!

Sample Quotes

Vespa Liberty S 50cc

Steven has just turned 16, he has had his provisional just come through and CBT booked for a week’s time. His parents have bought him a Vespa Liberty S 50cc to get around on, which is worth about £500. He lives in Rhyl (LL18) and will be using the bike for social, domestic and pleasure. Steve has been dreading the cost as he is so young.

Steven’s rate is just £260.55 for Third Party Only.

Yamaha YBR-125

David is 33 and lives in Guildford (GU4). He has owned his Yamaha YBR-125 for a couple of years to just cruise around on when it’s sunny. He passed his full category A motorcycle licence a year ago and has 2 years no claims bonus available to use on this policy.

David’s rate is just £97.00 for fully comprehensive cover

Call today for a quote!

Get a cheaper quote over the phone by speaking to our friendly, expert staff today.

From our Norfolk-based offices, our teams of insurance experts are ready to take your call, and to help you get great cover at a great price.

Just click the callback button and we’ll give you a call at a time that suits you.

Insurance to ride any bike

Ever fancied borrowing a friend’s or family member’s bike, but been worried that you might not be insured should you have an accident?

With Bikesure’s “ride any bike” insurance, you could add the equivalent of comprehensive insurance to your policy while you ride other people’s bikes – leaving you and the owner safe in the knowledge that you’re covered, whatever happens.

With up to a £10,000 claims limit, accidental damage, third party, fire, and theft cover included, and no need to let us know every time you borrow a new bike, you’ll be free to hop on and hit the road whenever you like.

Agreed Value Insurance

Whatever bike you ride, from a scooter to a cruiser, dirt bike to superbike, you want to know that you can claim back the full value of your bike if it’s written off.

With agreed value insurance from Bikesure, we’ll work with you to agree the true value of your bike when you take out a policy, and make sure that you get that sum back when you need to claim – helping you to fund a replacement bike without leaving you out of pocket.

Helmet and leathers

It’s no secret that your helmet and leathers are some of the most important items for staying safe on a bike – and that they can cost hundreds of pounds to replace if damaged.

For just £29.99 a year, our helmet and leathers insurance will cover up to £1,500 in the costs involved with repairing or replacing your leathers and helmet (or £40.00 for £3,000 in costs), including full leathers and other protective clothing, boots and gloves.

With a low £50 excess for each claim, insuring your protective kit could save you hundreds following an accident, and claims on your helmet and leathers policy won’t affect your bike no claims bonus.

Keycare Insurance

If you’ve ever lost your keys, you’ll know that it’s no laughing matter, and can in fact end up costing you a lot of money in locksmith fees.

For just £19.00 a year, our keycare insurance policy will cover locksmith expenses, replacement locks and keys, bike immobilizer replacement costs, vehicle hire costs, and transport costs if you’re stranded, up to a value of £1,500.

We’ll pay out if your keys are stolen, locked inside your home, or lost for 48 hours. Better yet, your keys are protected regardless of your location; we now cover keys worldwide.

For more information and to add keycare to your policy, speak to a member of our team today.

Motorcycle Breakdown

From just £62.00 a year, Bikesure Rescue provides gold-standard breakdown cover for your motorbike, offering 24 hour UK and EU roadside assistance and recovery, emergency accommodation costs, transport home, to a garage, or to a destination of your choice, and even an equivalent hire bike to help you get on your way after a breakdown.

We know that nobody wants to have their plans put on hold by a breakdown, or to be forced to hang around by the roadside for hours facing costly callout charges – so use Bikesure Rescue as your breakdown cover, and get motoring peace of mind at a price that suits you.